If you want to really explore the amazing nature that we have on our doorstep in the UAE and Oman, you need to master the art of 4×4 driving in the desert and wadis. If you have a 4×4 but don’t really feel confident yet, there are plenty of places you can turn for help. There are groups such as Dubai Offroaders who regularly organise driving expeditions in the desert and wadis. The group have plenty of 4×4 enthusiasts that well lend you a hand on your technique, free of charge. Alternatively, you can also try something like a “You Drive Desert Experience” with a company like Offroad Zone, who take you out on a desert safari, but you do the driving in one of their Jeeps. The guides share many techniques that will have you driving like a pro in no time.
Top desert driving tips
1. Put safety first…Always!
2. Never go out in the desert with one 4×4
3. Always have more water than you could possibly use
4. Keep your 4×4 serviced and do a self-inspection before and after each trip
5. Speed kills both you and your 4×4
6. Make gravity your friend. Never fight gravity
7. Always turn your tyres into a slide or towards gravity
8. Make sure your phone is fully charged
9. If you don’t think you can do it, don’t try until you know you can.
10. The most important aspect of desert driving is proper technique
Travis Bruce, Offroad Zone
The Offroad UAE and Offroad Oman books published by Explorer provide some excellent suggestions for wadi and desert routes – together with tips for hiking, climbing and camping.